Wednesday 28 May 2014

Compendium of Curiosities Challenge 3

Hi everyone and lovely to have you drop in! Today I am showing you the project I made for the latest challenge of the Compendium of Curiosities Volume 3 crew, hosted by Linda Ledbetter.
This fortnight the challenge is all about using Tim's fabulous Faux Tea Rose Technique.
This technique can be found on page 65 of the book.
Like in previous weeks Tim and Mario have donated a huge prize packet for one lucky winner and in addition The Inspiration Emporium are offering a $50 for the overall winner of this week's contest.
Well, onto my project: I made a fancy card and I'll give you a quick step by step:
I started with a piece of white 6 x 12" card and scored it at 3 and 9" along the 12" side. I then cut the two end bits with Tim's Tattered Doily die.
Next I cut a frame with the Cabinet Card die and insert, I kept the frame as was but cut the insert in half length wise
I wanted to use them as pretend shutters, so made two paper hinges to attach them to the frame:
I used those to attach my shutters to. Next I took a piece of 6 x 6 vintage scrapbook paper and attached it to the middle section of my card. I then cut the small cabinet card insert again from similar paper and attached that to the shutters on the side that would show. I coloured the window frame with vintage photo and adhered it to my card base.

Onto the roses, I'm not going to tell you how I did them, you'll just have to get the book if you don't have it, but here you can see them, I made three from white card and then coloured with a mix of Victorian Velvet and Vintage Photo Distress Inks.


As you can see, I also made a central cross in my "window" from two strips of card and did a bit of stenciling on my window shutters.
I mounted it all onto a piece of Cored'nations card from Tim's Nostalgic collection.
A little banner from the new Curvy Tattered Banners Decorative strip die and a butterfly finish it all off. I added Rockcandy Distress Glitter to the butterfly and the sentiment words are remnant rubs. I saw that cool idea on Paula Cheney's blog.


The butterfly is from the Butterfly Frenzy strip die. After I glittered it I drew a "body" with a Walnut Stain Distress marker and then went over it with a wet brush and inked around the edges. I'm really happy with how it turned out.. I just tucked it behind the banner.
Well hope you like my card and thank you for visiting like always.

37 comments:

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Wonderful card, Astrid!

Annie said...

Astrid this is a fabulous make. Wonderful layout and details. Huge hugs Annie x

Paula Whittaker said...

fab use of die cuts...love the overall design. thanks for the little tute.

Words and Pictures said...

I love your little cottage window - shutters and crossbeams and all - so sweet. And the tea roses look stunning. Beautiful use of all those papers too.
Alison xx

Klaudia/Kszp said...

This is fantastic, Astrid! :) And thanks for the step-by-step :)

Heather Jacob said...

wow so creative and the colors are softly stunning .. loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee this Astrid x

Dagmar said...

So beautiful <3

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

Fabulous details Astrid! The roses are perfect!

chrissie said...

All very beautiful and the roses are the star for sure

Love Chrissie x

Valerie-Jael said...

Your flower window is just wonderful, love it! Hugs, Valerie

Maryann Laursen said...

Absolut stunning work here again Astrid, sooo beautiful.
And I also just loved your birthdayinterview, that I just read over there, it was sooo fun to get a glimse of another person back inside there.

Unknown said...

A beautiful project Astrid and such a kewl idea for the window shutters. Chris xxx

Stamps and Paper said...

Wow Astrid what a stunning creation...love the design of your card and that gorgeous window die.

Anne

Hels Sheridan said...

What a stunner, love the shabby elegance of this creation... Thanks for playing along with the CC3 Challenge x

Jenny Marples said...

Such a clever design! Love the way you've altered the window and added the glittered butterfly beside those beautiful flowers. Jenny x

rachel said...

a real beauty astrid. the roses look amazing. love them to bits xx

Julia Aston said...

What a lovely shuttered window you created for your beautiful roses! The sparkly butterfly has the perfect place to alight!

Maryanne said...

What a fabulous card, Astrid! I love the way you created the window and shutters! The colors are beautiful and it all looks so lovely!

Redanne said...

Such a clever idea to use the die as a window with shutters! I love the doily die edges and your flowers and gorgeous, as is the fabulous glittery butterfly. Hugs, Anne xx

Annette Green said...

Another beautiful creation, Astrid! I love this clever idea. So glad you're playing along in the CC3 Challenges. Well done!

Marisa Job said...

What a stunning creation! I love the window shutters, very creative!!!

Terry said...

Wow is the first thought that comes to mind! Astrid, your window is so eye-catching and beautiful, not to mention clever! Love your tea roses and lovely design! Hugs!

Julie Lee said...

Astrid, this is superb! I love the window, the roses, the sentiment - everything about it! Julie Ann xxx

Dorthe said...

I love your card with the sweet shutters, dear Astrid. It is stunning in every way, and the roses so very beautiful.
Hugs,Dorthe,xx

Karin said...

Prachtig Astrid en de rozen zijn schitterend! Groetjes Karin

Cheryl Grigsby said...

Girl!! I love this! Very, very pretty, and really nice job on forming those tea roses. You've got it DOWN. ;-)

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Gorgeous. A fabulous creation. Love how you've used this vintage cabinet card. Great inspiration.

Candy C said...

Astrid...as always, this card is beautifully done. I love your creation using Tim's tattered doily and the cabinet card die cuts. What a wonderful idea to make it into a shuttered window! That is really brilliant. I love your shabby vintage colors and your roses are beautiful! Your mixture of Victorian Velvet and Vintage Photo really makes for a perfect shabby vintage rose! Thanks so much for sharing your always incredible art with us at CC3C. <3 Candy

Paper Profusion said...

LOVE your clever design Astrid - really beautiful card. NIcola x

Anonymous said...

Very lovely. The roses look wonderful.

Lisa Minckler said...

I simply had the most wonderful time following along in your detailed photos. Your creation is magnificent!!
Lisa x

Almo said...

Gorgeous tea roses Astrid. Great idea of the shutters and the rub on sentiments sit lovely on the banner as does that beautiful butterfly. Mo x

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Astrid,
What a great design, love how you have put this together and thanks so much for the tutorial, it is so appreciated, I have been inspired once again by the way you create.
Smiles:)
Sue

mamablitger said...

Astrid.......vamazing fabolous gorgeous card you made today. I'm speechless !!! LOVE all about it. Such clever ideas you get. You are so very creative and talented. Love your style, color choices and your great tutorial ! Thanks a LOT for sharing your art !!!
Hugs from SPAIN

Unknown said...

Lovely card you have created here Astrid... I love the doilies on the outer edges... they add so very much... but I have to say my very favorite part is the glittery butterfly.. .I laughed when I saw it... as I can remember you saying that glitter was not your favorite... and I think the glitter bug bit you.. LOL... I LVOE it... it is so beautiful and tucked into such pretty things all around it... love this whole window with all it charm... very nice.. Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Beautiful roses, and love the arched window and shutters! Thank you so much for joining in our rosy challenge at CC3C!!!

Jann said...

WONDERFUL!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key